Venue: Siambr Hywel Dda, Council Offices, Caernarfon, Gwynedd, LL55 1SH
Contact: Sion Owen 01286 679665
DECLARATION OF PERSONAL INTEREST
To receive any declaration of personal interest.
No declarations of personal interest were received from any members present.
The Chairman shall propose that the minutes of the last meeting of this committee held on 26/6/18, be signed as a true record.
The Chairman signed the minutes of the previous meeting of this committee held on 26 June 2018 as a true record.
To receive the observations of this committee in response to the consultation
The Panel’s report was presented by the Democratic Services Manager. It was noted that decisions on the remuneration levels previously available to individual councils had been removed following feedback from the councils. The Panel recommended that the basic salary was increased by £268 (1.97%), Leaders and Cabinet Members’ salaries to increase by £800 (including the £268 basic salary increase), and Civic salaries to increase to £22,568 for Civic Heads and £17,568 for Deputy Civic Heads.
Reference was also made to the Panel’s recommendations for Town and Community Councils to give the Committee Members an opportunity to comment as they often had a connection with their respective Town and Community Councils.
Comments arising from the discussion:
- That there was no choice but to accept the recommendations.
- That executive Members had not received a salary increase beyond the increase in the basic salary for some time.
- Disappointment that there was no provision available to vary salaries according to performance and attendance.
- Support setting salaries at the same level as it removed the possibility of using remuneration as a political tool.
- Welcomed setting the salary of the Chair of the Council (Civic Leader) at the same level as a Committee Chair.
- Welcomed the recommendation that the member’ salary increase be slightly lower than officers’ likely salary increase, and that it was to be introduced after council officers were due to receive an increase.
- Noted the need to make it clear to Town and Community Councils which members were eligible for which payments, as well as the eligible periods, to assist their financial planning.
- In principle that all elected members should be remunerated in some way to encourage diversity and to reflect the time cost attached to being an Elected Member.
1 – To accept the Panel’s recommendations.
2 – That the Head of Democratic Services conveyed this Committee’s comments to the Panel.